Thursday, March 7, 2013

Women's Day!

     
       Well, today Friday March 8th,  is женский день or Women's Day in Russia.  It is a huge holiday. (They don't celebrate Mother's Day,  just this day to celebrate all women.)   The stores will be closed most of the day, people are off work and the flower shops are going crazy.  In fact in spite of all the flower shops there are still people who come out onto the streets and sell flowers the day or two before and the day of Women's Day.  I bought these flowers (tulips) this morning for Karen.  It snowed about 4-5 inches last night, the wind is blowing and it is about 10 degrees, but they are out selling their flowers.  There are more under the blanket.  The blanket is to keep them from freezing.  When I got them home they seemed as cold as ice and so we will see if they survive.  This lady in the picture was a lot of fun.  We laughed trying to communicate with each other in the cold and wind. (You can see on the left that her sign is about to blow off the stand.)   When I was talking about how many I wanted she was talking about price and when I talked about price she was talking about the number of flowers.  But we got it done and she let me take her picture.  Too bad she had her eyes closed.  Didn't notice that til I got home.  Any way Happy Women's Day to all of you or as they say in Russia  "С женский днём!"   (Its pronounced kind of like " Suh Zhenski Dnyom")

1 comment:

  1. I love the HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY concept. Mother's Day is so hard for some women; singles, divorced, mother's who feel they are inadequate.... Celebrate womanhood! I love it.

    ReplyDelete