Sunday, November 11, 2012

Senior Couples Conference

November 11, 2012


      We just got back yesterday morning from a conference with all the senior couples in our mission.  It was at the mission home in Novosibirsk.   With the ride back yesterday that makes our 6th 12 hour train ride. (three round trips)  We have done it now in the summer, fall and winter.  We got back safe and sound about 8:30 a.m. yesterday  morning.  Those train stations are surreal to me.  They are right out of a scene from Dr. Zhivago.  The fir hats and coats, the bags, the crush of people.  It is truly an adventure.There are some photos below.  The temps are in the 0 to 15 F. range. 
     Our mission president had tickets for us to see the ballet "Spartacus."   He and his wife went with us.  The Novosibirsk ballet/symphony theater is magnificent.  It was built during the time of Stalin's regime.  Even though I am not a good judge of what is good ballet (except I know that my daughter and grandaughters are good dancers) we looked at it as a possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity to see an authentic Russian Ballet.
        The ballet was great.  I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. I probably know as little about ballet as anyone,  but these dancers looked first class to me.  I've never seen anything like it.  And the live orchestra was also wonderful.  But is was a little too long for me, and I tried hard but I couldn't quite accept Spartacus in a sword fight in tights.  
         It was a great conference.  It was good to talk with the other senior couples and feel their spirit.  They are great people.   The older couple you see sitting with us in the theater have been on five missions together.  Three of them (including this one) in Siberia.  They requested Siberia two more times after their first time.  They also served in Scotland and Cambodia.  They are to say the least, hardy (not to mention dedicated). 
         The picture of the red flags shows a rally by the Communist Party right outside the Theater.  We had no idea they were going to be there.  They had loud speakers and there appeared to be a lot of yelling.  It was hard-core communist party.  I was a little reluctant to take a picture but decided to chance it and then hurry into the theater.  The speaker was really getting the crowd whipped up.  Lots of security standing around.  It was amazing.
      We miss you and love you.  We love to get your emails .
Love
Elder and Sister Noel
PS.  The short video at the end of the blog is all I could get of the ballet.  But it gives you a little idea of the sound of the orchestra.

Winter scenes from the train.





A Communist Party rally outside the theater.


Inside the Theater in Novosibirsk

The Noel's and the Holmes


Intermission during the ballet.





Our conference inside the mission home.

Another adventure on the Trans-Siberian Railroad.


More inside the theater.



2 comments:

  1. It looks like a lot of fun. The theater is amazing. There are many people in the ward who have asked about you and I give them your blog site, so you have people in Eden following your mission too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW and WOW! The ballet, the Communist rally, serving 3 missions in Siberia, the trans-Siberian railroad...........WOW! You are the epitome of my mantra "Life is the stories you can tell"!

    ReplyDelete